Mac trux in the Poconos...



















Does Pennsylvania's soil offer something unique for the planting of potatoes? I imagine a time when, maybe during and after the war, every state in this vast land had more potato chip businesses than one could ever hope to tally. A half century ago, I would reason that a trip to any new state would afford plenty of new and exciting, local chips. So I'm left wondering why Pennsylvania (and to a lesser degree, Ohio) houses so many lil chip companies, and how they remain in business. Why haven't the national brands killed the little guys here? It warms my heart! Others should take note! That said, I'm beginning to see a trend: Wonderful, heart-melting, classic, timeless, packaging but a MEDIOCRE CHIP! If I'd grown up with any of these chips, I would wholeheartedly sing their praises and claim them to be the best chip the world's ever birthed, but in the interest of objectivity, and building the credibility of Chipweb, I must be fair in my assessment of these chips. I tried Martin's "Kettle-Cook'd Hand Cooked Potato Chips" and they were NOT GOOD!!! Some hypothesized that it was the oil in which the chips were cooked that made for the disappointment. Maybe. It is listed as Vegetable Shortening, which doesn't have the same appeal as Sunflower Oil, etc. But maybe that is naive? Most bad chips taste the same; they taste synthetic, they taste like those Potato Stix that come in a can. The kettle crunch was not up there with other chips I've had, and the taste was just bad. I wanted to like these chips so much and I'm sad to give my honest report. Visit their website and support them just the same: www.martinschips.com. More PA chips to come!

No comments: